Thursday, February 16, 2012

Collecting Art

In class last friday we talked all about collecting art. We saw how Herb and Dorothy Vogel started collecting art when they realized the art out there was better than there own. I wish that they still would have tried to work on their art because it takes practice and learning to get better at art sometimes. But they then made a life long routine of going out to art galleries and shows and familiarizing themselves with the artists around New York city. And started collecting the minimalistic style that they liked. They started collecting that art because all the pop art of that time was extremely expensive and they wanted to be collectors themselves. They were really drawn to this type of art and ended up buying so much to fill their entire apartment. Then the donated all there art to the National Gallery of Art even though they had many money offers. The Gallery could only take 1000 peices of art so they decided to start a program to donate 50 art peices to each of the 50 states. (Website showing the 50 for 50; http://vogel5050.org/) When the Gallery cleared out the Vogels home they were hoping that they would get the home they never had with a couch and proper furniture, but the Vogels suprised them and bought more art, only to fill up their home once again. Personally, I wouldn't want to live their, it reminded me of the show Hoarders when I first saw it, but that is what makes them happy, and if they didn't collect all that art and give up everything for it the National Gallery of Art would never have that great collection. They made a sacrifice for art which is pretty meaningful.


In my life I've collected lots of things. My family has a cottage up in Long Point Beach, Canada so when I was little I was always bringing buckets of rocks, shells, and just random little things I found; like popped ballons, feathers, ribbons or beach glass. When I finally would get too much my dada would secretly throw away all the rocks and I would just keep bringing back more. I still will pick up rocks when I go, and my parents bought me a rock tumbler for Christmas this year, which didn't work as well as I hoped. I always want to make something with the rocks; like a picture frame or glue them all over a wood box. But for now, there sitting in some old jars and glasses in my room.


I do collect things, especially when I was younger with stuffed animals, Barbies, procelain dolls, hairs accesories, jewelery, crazy socks, candles, stickers, and bottle caps. Now that I'm older I think it would be fun to collect some art. I might wait till I have a house though so I can have room to hang the art up all around. I would like to save up for a big painting!


I think that Herb and Dorothy were the biggest art collectors of all time, and they influenced many people!!!!

Looking forward to going to the art exhibit friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment